Your Background

Tell us about your past training experience, your current skills and your goals!
Joshtheboss

Re: Your Background

Postby Joshtheboss » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:39 pm

I have started going to the gym for almost a year now(I'm 15) and within the past 3 months I would say I have gotten into calisthenics bars and rings etc. I started training rings about two months ago and I have made really good progress such as tucked levers etc. I don't have a gymnastics gym cause I live in Thailand as a missionary but my gym has a pair of rings that I hook up to a bar on the ceiling. I have been focusing on the rings and other gymnastics movements such as planch pushup etc. I don't have some things that are required to train like a true gymnast but I do the best I can with what I have. Ring fraternity has really inspired me to work harder at rings and motivates me each session. I train similar to the strength sessions you guys posted and I usually do holds of 5 secs on the stationary exercises and 5-10 reps on things such as handstand pushups. You guys really motivate me to train harder and I loved your strength session series. Do another one please!!

Tyson

Postby Tyson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the RF forums! We're planning another strength training series after Lachlan's competition training is over. Very keen!

nicotography

Postby nicotography » Sun May 12, 2013 10:25 am

Hi RingFrat!

I started bodyweight exercises and calisthenics about a year ago when I stumbled upon a book called Convict Conditioning. Before then I was big into rowing in HS and did a little weight lifting. I really enjoyed working with my own bodyweight, it feels like not only am I getting stronger, but also getting better at moving and being a more functional human being. With weightlifting I only felt stronger in specific movements and felt myself get heavier and slower.

In the summer I bought Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low, which I find to be an incredible book. I'd love to hear what you guys think of it. Through that book I created my own bodyweight strength routine since I was plateauing on Convict Conditioning. Come Christmas and I got a pair of wooden rings! This really opened up the exercises I could do and I have been training on them since! My current goals are 8 reps of archer pullups, matlese pushups, and straight-legged skin the cats.

I found you guys because someone on http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness linked this website. I found the tutorials awesome and can't wait for the manna tutorial to come out.

Cheers,
Nico

Return to “Introduce Yourself”