Your Background

Tell us about your past training experience, your current skills and your goals!
Lachlan
Site Admin

Your Background

Post by Lachlan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:33 am

Hi guys,

I'm interested to hear your background and how you got into rings?

I personally only found the rings at the age of 18. I did a small amount of tumbling (back and front flips), and occasionally went to gymnastics centres to improve my skills in a safer environment. At one of these sessions I noticed the rings and could never recall ever seeing anyone train on them. Intrigued by this I tried doing a 'muscle up'. Back then I considered myself pretty strong, but I couldn't get through the muscle up transition. I thought that was pretty sad so I learnt about the proper form (false grip) and after a few weeks I could do it. I was very impressed by the amount of pressure it put on the elbows and began training for more difficult moves.

Finding the rings to be the most challenging upper body exercise I'd ever experienced, I began training more and more on the rings and less in the gym (weights). Now I train exclusively on the rings, strength sessions twice a week, though will soon step it up to 3 times a week, with a day's break in-between.

Tyson

Re: Your Background

Post by Tyson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Mr. Walker himself got me into rings. I'm yet to return the favour and convert him to oly lifting though...

Deadpool

Post by Deadpool » Thu May 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Hello folks,

Once upon a time I was really into bodybuilding doing the regular gym type stuff and over a period of about 4 years (from the age of 19) managed to go from a 56kg weakling to a 92kg monster! It was damn hard work, mainly because of the eating involved... Anyway, after those 4 years I started full time work and was not able to keep up with the workouts or the frequent feedings, within 6 months I was back down to 75kg which is where I have pretty much stayed. I tried to get back into regular lifting a few times but couldn't stick with it. Fast forward a few more years and I started playing around with kettlebells, sandbags and other 'functional' equipment which is where I found the rings. Once I tried them out I was in love with them and have been training on them ever since. I am now 33 years old and have probably been doing rings for about a year.

I'm currently injured with a minor abdominal tear which has kept me off the rings for about 3 weeks but I'm really getting antsy and feel the need to be back on them. Hopefully I can ease back into it over the next few weeks but this ab thing is taking it's time...

Here is a clip of some of the training I was doing, I know my form isn't the best but I'm working on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPP_ykQZx6s

I'm glad to be here and hopefully I can learn a thing or two!!

sphyderman

Post by sphyderman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:45 pm

This place seems like a bit of a ghost town but anyway,

Most of you would know my background, I was bitten by a radioactive spider which resulted in super human strength and other abilities. As a result I became a crime fighter, what you don't know is that over the last few years I have gotten far too into cheezels and watching the television which has resulted in a loss of strength.

Here's hoping the rings can give me some strength and skill back.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TaZj4KAbnVQ - Me now!
Last edited by sphyderman on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tyson

Post by Tyson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:04 pm

sphyderman wrote:This place seems like a bit of a ghost town but anyway,

Most of you would know my background, I was bitten by a radioactive spider which resulted in super human strength and other abilities. As a result I became a crime fighter, what you don't know is that over the last few years I have gotten far too into cheezels and watching the television which has resulted in a loss of strength.

Here's hoping the rings can give me some strength and skill back.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TaZj4KAbnVQ
Haha yeah you're quite right. The forum is still in it's infancy and because the group initially formed on facebook a large amount of the discussion still takes place there. We need people such as yourself to get involved and post any questions, advice or videos to get the conversation started. It will encourage others to do the same :)

Good to see you're getting back into rings, do you have any goals you're working towards?

The public needs a strong spidey!

sphyderman

Post by sphyderman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:03 am

Ah, I'll have to check you guys out on the old facebook.

As for goals, strength is always good although pretty non-specific. I'd like to get a front lever, back lever and planche along with a bunch of other moves. I previously got pretty close to the front and back lever but work got a bit busy and I crapped out. At least I'm not starting from scratch again, although I'm not far off as you can see from my video.

Can you embed youtube vids on here??

[youtube]TaZj4KAbnVQ[/youtube]

Tyson

Post by Tyson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:07 pm

sphyderman wrote:Ah, I'll have to check you guys out on the old facebook.

As for goals, strength is always good although pretty non-specific. I'd like to get a front lever, back lever and planche along with a bunch of other moves. I previously got pretty close to the front and back lever but work got a bit busy and I crapped out. At least I'm not starting from scratch again, although I'm not far off as you can see from my video.

Can you embed youtube vids on here??

[youtube]TaZj4KAbnVQ[/youtube]
That's good man you have what's similar to an easy (back lever) medium (front lever) and advanced (planche) goal. Is that all on rings (it should be ;) ). They all have similar prerequisites as well in the sense of starting out with a tuck/advanced tuck/bent leg, straddle, 1 leg/full. For the back lever make sure you check out our tutorial to see if there is any tips you can get from it that you might not have considered yet. Also, check out the written tutorial if you take info in better that way. For front lever, I feel that is more or less difficult depending on a person's build. I'm pretty close now though and I've been training a lot of front lever raises from dead hang (10 X 3) and dragon flags (10 X 3).

Make sure you keep us updated on your progressions :D

I don't think you can embed video on the forums yet. You can hyperlink videos though and embed images.

http://www.ringfraternity.com/tutorials/bl.html - Back lever tutorial

sphyderman

Post by sphyderman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Yeah, all on rings, although I like to play on the parrallettes (did I spell that right??) a bit too!

I have checked out your tutorials on YT, I was impressed with your vids although you need more of them. I subbed so I'll be watching!

sirdank

Post by sirdank » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:11 am

What's up, dudes?

I got into rings last June because I read Building the Gymnastic Body by Christopher Sommer. I was injured at the time from lifting weights and doing stupid things and got injured again in December so my skills aren't too good. However, I'm almost better and really looking forward to picking up rings again since they are awesome and much more fun than lifting weights.

Anyway, it's a pleasure to be here and I hope I can be a useful contributor.

Tyson

Post by Tyson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 am

Welcome sirdank! :D