Post where you hang your rings

Post all rings related material/questions here.
Tyson

Post where you hang your rings

Postby Tyson » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Post up pictures of where you hang your rings to train. It will be interesting to see the different locations. I'll start with my set-up which is probably a bit more extravagant than most (I'm compensating for my skittle-sized testicles).

This is the ring structure I hang my rings off. This picture is from when it was first erected. Since then I've added ropes and some other additions to stabilise the structure as it wobbled a fair bit in the state it is here.

The poles are cemented about 1.2 metres into the ground.

Now let's see yours!

Lachlan
Site Admin

Re: Post where you hang your rings

Postby Lachlan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:34 pm

Indeed, my training location is far more modest than yours, Tyson. I was keen to get training as soon as I learnt of the availability of portable rings back in 2009. Once I had ordered my rings I scouted out the areas around my house to find the most suitable area. I decided upon this tree as there was a branch at a good height for training:

Shown again, from another angle:

I was a little unsure the branch could take the weight as it isn't very thick:

It has never failed me though, even when adding additional weight to allow pulleys and weighted clothing.

It has been a great place to train, and was where I mastered many skills such as muscle-up, back lever and kip. The only thing I would like to improve about it is the elasticity of the tree brach. It bounces too much, and doesn't closely simulate the real still rings (when kipping or swinging).

It is probably the most simple way to hang rings up, and i've left the buckles out for years now and they haven't rusted, they still work fine!

Lachlan
Site Admin

Postby Lachlan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:17 am

The setup with the tree seen above was my home training set up. However when I was studying at university, I needed to find an alternative place to train. I scouted out the entire university for high hanging horizontal bars and found quite the ideal place, seen below:

As you can see the rings hang from a relatively high bar which is good. It still was not quite high enough for my liking as my feet would touch the bar when doing a Handstand on rings. Apart from handstands and swinging, I could train everything in this location.

One draw back was the stairs directly in-front of the rings:

I later used these stairs to my advantage, placing my stop watch against the highest step to count my strength holds properly.

One other disadvantage of this location is that it is a public place, so I would have to take the rings down after every session, and set up again next session. This involved throwing the buckles over the single bar (I am now very accurate at throwing the buckles) and then standing on the high chair (seen in the other pictures).

sphyderman

Postby sphyderman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Sometimes a Sphyderman has to work in less ideal conditions, especially when he is renting! That said, my current set up is fairly decent, I doubt you could find a stronger overhead support and it's undercover just in case of rain!

Take 1 innocuous looking communal garbage room;

It doesn't smell too bad as long as you don't go looking inside things that would be better left alone;

Find something to stand on;

Select a solid I beam;

Then the Sphyderman is ready to rock!!

Joshtheboss

Postby Joshtheboss » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 pm

I hang my rings on a bar that's anchored to the ceiling in my gym. Super sturdy but there's no room for muscle ups etc. it's the best I can use right now but I'm planning on buying my own and hooking it up to a tree or something
Attachments
image.jpg
Not best form but here's a back lever
image.jpg (116.79 KiB) Viewed 6602 times

Return to “Rings”