What kind of rings do you use?

Post all rings related material/questions here.
Joshtheboss

What kind of rings do you use?

Postby Joshtheboss » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Hey I was wondering what type of rings you guys use? Wooden or plastic? I use plastic ironcross gymnastics rings which are fairly cheap but they def get the job done. I'm interested in buying a pair of wooden rings but Idk what brand is the best for the price. I'm quite hesitant cause they're quite expensive.

SquireS

Re: What kind of rings do you use?

Postby SquireS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:03 pm

If you're looking for a quality index, it would look something like this...

Poor Average High Quality
Plastic Wood Fiber Glass

Being in the US rather than Australia, we use fiber glass rings more often than wood and I would say that your grip on fiber glass is better. The price, however, may be more expensive. I've never needed to buy any just because I'm part of a competitive team sponsored by a university. Wood rings might be more realistic especially overseas, but I'd highly recommend that over plastic. I've seen my fair share of cracked plastic rings that don't hold chalk very well. HOPE THIS HELPS

Mike Squires

Tyson

Postby Tyson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Mike is right, plastic rings don't hold chalk well at all but that may not be an issue to some. The benefits are that they're cheap and you can work around the chalk issue. I own a plastic pair and I sand paper them and then use chalk to help it stick. I paid $60AUD for my plastic rings (carbonate resin to be more precise) and they've lasted me going on 3 - 4 years now.

It really depends on what you want and what you're willing to spend.

Joshtheboss

Postby Joshtheboss » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 pm

I don't really have access to chalk but I'm thinking on buying these wooden rings, here's the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008MZYOT ... _3412221_3.

The reason I would chooses these is cause I wouldn't exactly need chalk. And I would really love lifetime rings. And there about the same price of expensive plastic rings so tell me what you guys think.

Tyson

Postby Tyson » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Just food for thought...I would bet my plastic rings to last me a lifetime.

I'm in a meeting with fellow Ring Frats and they deem wooden rings more grippy without chalk than plastic rings and more authentic.

Return to “Rings”